The Roland Garros French Open is about to start and if you’re a Tennis fan then it’s one you won’t want to miss. In this guide I’m going to show you how you don’t need to miss a second of the action and how you can watch the Roland Garros French Open completely for free.
The Roland Garros French Open is one of the biggest Tennis tournaments in the world but watching it can be difficult. Often it’s only shown on subscription channels and if you’re abroad it might not be broadcast at all or with foreign commentary.
The good news is you can watch the entire tournament with English commentary in any country in the world on the UK’s ITV service. However, you’ll need an additional app to do this and below I’ll show you how.
Watch Roland Garros French Open free
In the UK the ITV channel is showing the entire Roland Garros French Open from the 26th May until the end of the tournament. It’s also streaming it live on their online service ITV Hub mostly on ITV 4.
If you visit ITV Hub outside the UK then you’ll be blocked from watching.
Luckily there’s an app known as a VPN which will allow you to unblock this by changing your location. If you’re in Spain, America, Australia or anywhere else you can pretend you’re in the UK and watch.
VPN apps are available for all major devices from Android and Apple iOS to Windows, Mac and the Fire TV or Firestick. You can even watch on a Smart TV which we’ll explore in more detail further down.
First I’ll show you how you can watch on a computer, laptop, tablet or phone.
How to watch the Roland Garros French Open Step-by-Step
You’ll need to first get a VPN service, ExpressVPN and IPVanish make two good choices but I picked ExpressVPN because they’re a little bit faster.
Now just follow these simple instructions.
- Visit either the ExpressVPN or IPVanish website and sign-up for their service. They both offer a full money back guarantee if you can’t get it working.
- Once you’ve signed up go to the ‘VPN Apps‘ area of their website and download and install the correct type of app for your device. You can also install their apps from your regular app store.
- Open the app and when prompted login with your account details that you created on sign up.
- On the app from the country selection list select the United Kingdom and press Connect.
It will take approximately 30 seconds for the app to connect. Once it’s connected you should visit the ITV Hub website.
You’ll need to create an account and enter a UK Post Code. You can use any UK Post Code but a few you can try are OX16 4TB, DY10 3JW and LL63 5TB.
You should then press Live TV and then ITV 4 where most of the Roland Garros French Open events will be being shown. Some important matches may be shown on the other ITV channels so it’s worth checking through them.
Watch live using ExpressVPN.
What to do if you don’t have the ITV Hub app
If you want to watch on a mobile device like a phone or tablet then you’ll also additionally need the ITV Hub app. If you’ve already got it installed then you can skip this section.
If you’re outside the UK then the likelihood is you won’t be able to download the ITV Hub app directly from your regular app store. It will more than likely tell you that it’s not available in your country. If that’s the case follow the steps below.
- Go to the Settings and Security area of your device and enable the option to allow apps to be installed from unknown sources.
- If you don’t have this option then skip the above step. Now using the web browser of your device visit: https://apkpure.com/itv-hub/air.ITVMobilePlayer
- Download and install the app from the downloads section on your phone. You can then open it to watch Roland Garros.
If you’ve got an iOS device like an iPhone or iPad then unfortunately the process is a little bit more difficult. You’ll need to consult our dedicated guide on how to install apps outside their intended country.
How to watch Roland Garros on a Smart TV
If you’ve got a Smart TV that has the ITV app already installed or that you can install then you’ll be able to watch the Roland Garros French Open anywhere in the world on your Smart TV.
For this, you don’t need a VPN but instead a service which is known as ‘SmartDNS‘.
How to watch Roland Garros on a Smart TV:
- Visit the Smart DNS provider StrongVPN and sign-up for their service.
- Once you’ve signed up go to the StrongDNS Members area and login with your account details.
- From the drop-down list select the region physically nearest to you and press Save.
- Next to Primary DNS and Secondary DNS write down the two sets of numbers.
- On your Smart TV go to the Settings and Network section and locate the area to alter your DNS Settings. Enter the two sets of numbers you wrote down.
- Save them and restart your Smart TV if required.
You’ll now be able to launch the ITV app on your Smart TV and watch the Roland Garros French Open.
How to watch the Roland Garros French Open Recap
To watch the Roland Garros French Open you’ll need to get yourself a VPN app. Two good providers are ExpressVPN and IPVanish. You can get my recommended VPN provider by clicking the orange button below.
Sign up for their service and then download the correct app type for your device. On their app connect to the United Kingdom and then visit the ITV Hub website or open the ITV Hub app where you’ll be able to watch the Roland Garros French Open live and for free anywhere in the world.