Manchester United take on Chelsea in the FA Cup Final this year and in this article I’m going to show you the best way to watch the action abroad. So no matter what country you’re in you can watch all the FA Cup final live.
The FA Cup is one of the biggest club competitions in England, if not the world and with interest high I’m sure you’ll want to watch no matter what country you’re in.
Unfortunately due to the popularity of the FA Cup final, it’s often reserved to being shown on expensive cable networks and in some countries it’s not even shown at all.
The good news for you is you can watch all the final live on BBC iPlayer even when you’re outside the UK and below I’m going to show you how.
Watch the FA Cup Final 2018 abroad
If you’re outside the UK and you’ve already tried to visit the BBC iPlayer website then you’ll already know you’re blocked from viewing.
However by using an app called a VPN you can disguise your location and pretend you are in the UK. Rather than being blocked from viewing you’ll be able to watch the entire FA Cup Final live in any country in the world.
A VPN is a privacy app and it’s available for both Windows and Mac computers and also Android and Apple phones and tablets. Allowing you to watch the FA Cup on any type of device. You can even watch on a Smart TV which we explain further down in this guide.
How to watch the FA Cup Final 2018 on a computer
Without question the easiest way to watch the FA Cup Final is on a regular computer or laptop running Windows or MacOS.
All you’ll need is the VPN app and nothing else which makes it not only the easiest but the quickest method. If you want to watch the FA Cup Final on your computer follow the steps below:
- Visit the VPN provider NordVPN and sign up for their service.
- Go to the VPN Apps section of their website and download the correct app for your computer, either Windows or Mac.
- Once the app is downloaded, install it and then open it.
- You’ll now need to login with the account details you created when you signed up.
- On the world map click on the United Kingdom and wait for the app to connect. If it doesn’t automatically connect you can press the large connection button at the top of the window.
It will take less than 30 seconds for the NordVPN app to connect. Once it’s connected you should visit the BBC iPlayer website and the time of the FA Cup Final kick-off where you’ll be able to watch the entire match live online.
When you’ve finished watching the match just press the Disconnect button and everything returns to normal. It’s worth taking a look around our website because there are other uses for the VPN service such as watching Sky Go and BT Sport abroad plus more.
How to watch the FA Cup Final 2018 on a tablet or mobile
It’s also possible to watch the FA Cup Final 2018 abroad on a tablet or mobile. This is made easier if you’ve already got the BBC iPlayer app installed on your device before leaving the UK.
If you don’t then you should first go to your usual app store and search ‘BBC iPlayer’ and see if it’s possible to install. If not see after the steps below for help on how to get it installed.
If you have the BBC iPlayer app installed on your mobile device then follow the steps below.
- Visit the VPN provider NordVPN and sign up for their service.
- Go to your usual app store and search for ‘NordVPN’ and install the app.
- Open the app and login with the account details you made when you signed up for their service.
- On the map locate the United Kingdom and tap on it. Then press the Connect button.
It’ll take around 30 seconds or less for the app to connect. Once it’s connected open the BBC iPlayer app where you’ll be able to watch the entire FA Cup Final 2018 live.
If you don’t already have the BBC iPlayer app installed then you’ll need to follow the instructions below.
- Go to the Settings area of your device. Then press Security.
- Find the option Unknown Sources and swipe to enable it. If you have a newer Android device you may not have this option and can skip this step.
- On your Android device use the web browser to visit : https://apkpure.com/bbc-iplayer/bbc.iplayer.android
- Download and install the BBC iPlayer apk.
On your phone or tablet you can now connect to the VPN as listed in the steps above and then open BBC iPlayer where you can watch the FA Cup final live.
Installing BBC iPlayer if you have an iPhone and iPad and can’t directly install it from the App store is a little bit more difficult. You should use either a PC, Mac or Android if you can for ease.
If you really can’t then take a look at our How to install Apple apps outside your country guide.
How to watch the FA Cup Final 2018 on a Smart TV
If you’re abroad and you’ve got a Smart TV with the BBC iPlayer app already installed on it then it may be possible to watch the FA Cup Final depending on the make and model of your TV.
Many Panasonic Viera, Sony and Samsung Smart TVs amongst others allow you to watch but you’ll first need to check if you can change the ‘DNS Settings’ on your Smart TV.
You can do this by Googling: Your Make of TV + Your Model of TV + DNS Settings. If you can find instructions on how to change them then you’re in luck. You should find the option under the Network Settings of your TV.
If can change your DNS Settings then follow the instructions below:
- Visit the SmartDNS provider StrongVPN by clicking here and sign up for their service.
- Once you’ve signed up head over to the StrongDNS configuration page.
- Login with the account details you created at StrongVPN and then choose the region nearest to you and press Save.
- Write down the two sets of numbers next to Primary and Secondary DNS.
- On your SmartTV go to your network settings and edit your DNS Settings to match those of the two sets of numbers you wrote down from the StrongDNS website.
- Save the settings and restart your TV if required.
You can now open the BBC iPlayer app on your Smart TV where you’ll be able to watch the FA Cup Final 2018 abroad.
When is the FA Cup Final shown
The FA Cup Final 2018 is expected to take place on May 19th, 2018. Kick off will be at 5:30 pm BST.
The FA Cup final will take place at Wembley Stadium as usual and is likely to have an attendance of just under 90,000 making it one of the largest domestic football matches in the world.
Manchester United saw off Spurs in a 2-1 win that allowed them to progress to the final. They’ll be hoping to match Arsenal’s 13 FA Cup final wins when they take on Chelsea.
Chelsea convincingly beat Southampton in a 2-0 win but after a less than pleasing premiership run this season they’ll be classed as the underdogs for the final.
After last years loss to Arsenal, Chelsea will be hoping to take the title and not get all the way only to fall at the last hurdle. Manchester United will be hoping to relive their 2016 win over Crystal Palace although they likely won’t want it to go to extra time with Chelsea.
How to watch the FA Cup Final 2018 Recap
You can watch the FA Cup Final 2018 abroad on a computer, tablet or phone using a VPN app. Just click the orange button below to get our recommended choice.
If you’ve got a Smart TV then you’ll need to use a SmartDNS service and instructions for that can be seen earlier in this guide.