The Champions League Final 2018 is about to take place and if you don’t have a cable subscription or you’re abroad outside the UK then you won’t want to miss out on the action. In this guide I’ll show you how you don’t need to miss out and can watch the final anywhere in the world.
Real Madrid will face Liverpool in this year’s final and if you’re a fan of either team you won’t want to miss it.
That all depends on where you are in the world though. In countries that don’t take much interest in European football, you may find it difficult to watch or you may just be in a position where you can’t find somewhere reliable to watch.
Don’t worry though, you don’t need to miss out on one of the most important games of the year and below I’ll show you the various ways you can watch the Champions League Final 2018 both free and abroad.
These include accessing any subscription accounts you have while abroad such as BT Sport or watching on a completely free legal stream.
Watch on a completely free legal stream
While the Champions League Final is mostly reserved to cable networks and subscription services in the UK and other countries it’s not the case everywhere.
Some countries show the final live on free-to-air TV but restrict viewing to that country only. You’ll be happy to know that you can tap into those free-to-air streams and watch them anywhere in the world outside their intended country.
Once such service is BT Sport from the UK. It will be showing the Champions League Final completely for free with English commentary in great quality on their YouTube channel. If you try and access the site from any other country than the UK you’re blocked but by following the instructions below and using a VPN app you can watch in any country.
The BT Sport YouTube stream is completely legal and free and you don’t need a subscription, a VPN will however cost you a couple of pounds (charged in US$) but to watch Real Madrid vs Liverpool and some no doubt amazing Salah and Ronaldo goals it’s definitely worth it.
How to watch the Champions League Final 2018 for free:
- Head over to the VPN provider NordVPN and sign up for their service. You can also use IPVanish if you want to choose another provider.
- When you’ve signed up to the service go to the VPN Apps section of the NordVPN website and download the correct app for your device. You can watch on an Android or Apple tablet or phone or a Windows or Mac computer or laptop.
- Once the app is downloaded open it and when required login with the account details you made in the first step.
- On the map locate the United Kingdom and click on it. You can also press Countries and find United Kingdom in the list.
- The app should automatically make connection but if not press the Connect button.
- Once the app has connected visit the BT Sport YouTube page where you can watch the entire final live anywhere.
Below is an example of the Windows software but the Mac software and apps for mobile devices and tablets are basically the same.
Watch with your BT Sport account abroad
Probably the best way to watch the final is if you have a BT Sport account. When you usually visit the BT Sport website or use the app outside the UK you’re blocked but by using an app called a VPN you can unblock it.
A VPN helps you pretend you’re in the UK so instead of being blocked by BT Sport you’re able to watch in any country.
Just follow the 5 instructions below to get started and watch the final anywhere in the world.
How to watch the Champions League Final 2018 on BT Sport:
- Visit the VPN provider IPVanish and sign-up to their service. A one month package will cost you just a few pounds.
- Once you’ve signed up for the service go to the Apps section of their website and download the correct app for your device type. They support Windows, Mac and Android. iOS devices will not work with BT Sport using this method.
- Install the app and open it. You’ll then need to login with the account details you created when you signed up.
- In the country selection list select the United Kingdom (1.) and then press Connect (2.).
- It will take approximately 30 seconds to connect. Once it’s connected go to the BT Sport website or open the BT Sport app.
You’ll now be able to watch the entire Champions League Final between Real Madrid and Liverpool in any country in the world.
Below you can see an example of how to connect with the IPVanish app.
When is the Champions League Final taking place
The Champions League Final 2018 will take place on 26th May 2018. It will take place in Kiev, Ukraine at the NSC Olimpiyskiy Stadium.
Kick-off is expected to start from 7:45 pm BST which is the standard time for the UK. If you need to know the time in your timezone then here are some guides:
- Los Angeles, USA: 11:45 am
- New York, USA: 2:45 pm
- Spain, France, Germany & Mainland Europe: 8:45 pm
- Dubai: 10:45 pm
- Thailand: 1:45 am (27th May)
- Sydney, Australia: 4:45 am (27th May)
- Auckland, NZ: 6:45 am (27th May)
If you need to know the time in your region if it’s not listed above then consult TheTimeZoneConverter.
Real Madrid vs Liverpool who will win
The coming together of Real Madrid and Liverpool sees two teams with huge European history. Real Madrid has proven themselves in recent years winning the last two Champions League Finals.
Liverpool, on the other hand, has a huge history in European football but having not won a final since 2005 and not been in a final since 2007 the current team has little experience in winning Europe’s highest trophy.
Real Madrid will certainly be the likely favourites going into the final but with Liverpool’s recent form, bar a 2nd leg blip against Roma and a striking force of Salah, Mane and Firmino it would be wise for Real Madrid to not underestimate the challenge ahead.
Real Madrid’s Ronaldo needs no introduction and after scoring one of the best goals of the year, if not the century against Juventus, I don’t really need to say anything more. If you need reminding of that, here it is.
Pressure is on both teams but with the Spanish media practically already given the trophy to Real Madrid it is likely they will feel more pressure with Liverpool being the underdogs with nothing to lose.
Liverpool scored some 40 goals this competition out of 189 shots. Compared with Real Madrid they scored 30 but made 208 efforts. With 47% of Liverpool’s shots on target and only 41% of Real Madrid’s, this is starting to sound like a juicy final.
Whatever the result this is going to be a massive match and one you won’t want to miss. Don’t forget to grab yourself a VPN so you can watch wherever you are in the world.
How to watch the Champions League Final Recap
If you want to watch the Champions League Final and you’re abroad or you just don’t have access to a cable network like BT Sport then you can watch completely free.
Just grab a VPN from NordVPN by clicking the button below, connect to the United Kingdom and then watch on the BT Sport Youtube channel free from anywhere in the world.
I would love to hear who you think will win but more importantly, who you WANT to win? Why not let us know in the comments section who you think will win this year’s Champions League and also, what’s your final score prediction?