If you live or travel in the UK the need to use a VPN is ever increasing and in 2019 you definitely should be using a VPN most of the time.
In this guide, we’ll be showing you 5 of the best VPN services for the job and pointing out some of their features that make them top options for use in the UK. The services listed in this guide are also suitable for accessing UK services if you’re overseas.
But with so many VPN services out there, which should you choose?
Answering that can end up costing you a lot in wasted sign up fees and time. In this busy world of ours, time you could better spend elsewhere. We’ve tested a wide range of services for you and broken them down into just 5 choices.
Our favourite VPN for the UK currently is ExpressVPN but as a savvy-shopper, you’ll probably want to compare some other choices yourself. However, rather than wading through over 500 options you’ll only need to compare these 5.
How to choose a VPN for the UK?
Choosing a VPN for the UK has a few unique requirements because of regulations, monitoring, censorship and a whole host of other reasons.
Knowing the standout features specifically for the UK will help you better choose a VPN service so below we’ve listed 4 that you need to consider.
- Servers in and around the UK: For different purposes you’ll require VPN servers in the UK plus servers near enough to put you outside the UK in locations such as the Netherlands, Switzerland and Iceland.
- Unblocks UK streaming: To get the most out of your private connection you want to ensure that the VPN isn’t blocked by the leading UK streaming services such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Sky Go, BT Sport, iFollow and others. This will allow you to watch your favourite content while remaining secure.
- Works with UK ISPs: While any good VPN should work with the UK’s ISPs, there have been incidences where poor server connection can lead to slow speeds. Making sure the VPN works well with the likes of Virgin Media, BT, TalkTalk and Sky Broadband etc will give you the best experience.
- Money back guarantee: Not much is certain in the VPN world so choose a VPN that gives you at least a 30-day money back guarantee. This will let you test the service for your specific purposes to see how they perform, risk-free.
The Best VPN for UK:
Now that you know some of the most important features to look out for when choosing a VPN for the UK, let’s take a look at the Top 5 options to keep you secure this year.
1. ExpressVPN – The winner
ExpressVPN through our extensive testing is our standout winner as the best VPN for the UK.
They’ve got VPN server locations in 94 countries which includes the UK and many surrounding countries. This gives you the best of both worlds and plenty of choices of locations to connect to.
We really like how well they work with the UK’s streaming services and you’ll have no issues watching BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, ITV Hub or other services from the across the UK. Plus they work well with overseas services too such as Netflix so if you’re a big movie fan you’ll be able to watch the American Netflix site in the UK.
Through testing the service both with Virgin Media and TalkTalk we didn’t face any difficulties, nor have there been any reports of any issues when using the service with the other leading ISPs.
They also offer one of the largest range of apps available so you can connect on any device not limited to Android, Apple iOS, Windows, Mac OS, Linux and the Amazon Fire TV Stick.
Best VPN for UK
2. NordVPN – Easy to use
NordVPN offers one of the easiest to use VPN services we’ve seen with some of the best-designed apps on the market.
Servers are available in the UK and at current count, they have a massive 680 of them available. There’s also a large range across Europe and further afield so you’ve got plenty of choices. In fact, there are over 5000 servers available in total which makes them one of the world’s largest in terms of capacity.
There’s a whole range of apps available for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac and the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. They’re some of the easiest to use we’ve tested so if you’re a beginner or don’t want to delve into the technical side too much they’ll be right up your street.
UK streaming services work well on NordVPN, in fact, in tests, they work more than most other providers for all the leading services such as iPlayer, BT Sport, iFollow, Sky and others.
You can test the service risk-free with their 30-day money back guarantee.
3. CyberGhost VPN – Great for beginners
CyberGhost VPN has been vastly improving their service in recent years making them a great choice for using in the UK.
With their recently redesigned apps, you can be connected and protected across your range of devices easily. We really liked that their apps help you find the correct server for your needs which saves time and doesn’t leave you frustrated like some alternative services.
There are over 3000 VPN servers dotted across the world with some 300+ in the UK both in London and Manchester. Most of the servers have a low utilisation with just 12-20 other users so there’s plenty of bandwidth to go around allowing you to get decent speeds when connected.
We had no trouble with the leading UK streaming services and when using the range of apps they even show you which server to connect to to unblock which specific TV service.
There’s a huge 45-day money back guarantee which is more than most. Plus you can use the service on up to 7 devices although you’ll need to de-register some if you hit the limit which is a little uncommon and a bit unnecessary.
4. IPVanish – Protect many devices
IPVanish is one of the most popular VPN services and for use in the UK they have a decent offering.
Currently, servers are available across 4 UK locations which is more than most and includes London, Manchester, Nottingham and Glasgow. There’s also a range of VPN servers in neighbouring countries.
This offering has been scaled back a little and there were previously more UK locations available which is why we haven’t ranked them as high this year. However, there are still enough different locations to keep you secure which is still more than most.
Unfortunately, the service is a bit hit and miss with UK streaming services so if you want to watch the likes of BBC iPlayer or Sky Go you’ll need to stick with one of the others services.
Speeds on the service are favourable and we didn’t experience any issues when watching video, browsing websites or streaming other media to a range of devices. This coupled with their apps for Windows, Mac OS, Android, Apple iOS and a decent Amazon Fire TV Stick app makes IPVanish an all-round good service with just a few weaknesses.
5. VyprVPN – Reliable and robust
VyprVPN has been one of the most highly regarded VPN services for some years but their overzealous logging policy was always a negative of the service. In late 2018 this all changed when the service became a fully no-log VPN service and went a step further to prove this via an audit.
For UK use this makes them a great choice because you can use their service without fear what you’re doing is being recorded. This allows you to browse the web privately.
Servers are available in the UK and while they’re not quite the fastest they are extremely reliable. There’s also a bunch of nearby servers across Europe and the rest of the world is well covered too.
The standout feature of VyprVPN is their 3-day trial. Simply pop some payment details in and get full access to their service. If you don’t like it then cancel and you won’t be charged. There are very few VPN services which offer such a feature.
Apps are available for all the most popular devices but sadly there’s no dedicated Amazon Fire TV app so if you’re a big streamer you’ll need to look elsewhere.
Which UK VPN is best for you?
With over 500 VPN services available to choose from it’s hard to choose just 1 for the UK.
That’s why we’ve slimmed this list down to the Top 5 options. However, even with 5, you may still be a little undecided. While all 5 are great for use in the UK there may be one that is most suitable for your personal needs which is why we’ve broken it down into typical usage scenarios.
If you’re still confused which to choose see if you can spot the usage closest to your own from the list below to help you decide.
If you’re a complete beginner, choose NordVPN. Their apps are well designed and make connection effortless. Even if you’ve never used a VPN before you can simply make use of their one-click connection which will get you connected to the best VPN server automatically.
If you want the best privacy protection, get ExpressVPN. Their no-logs policy has been tried and tested plus they’re registered off-shore so you can be safe in the knowledge that what you do while connected to their service remains nobody’s business but yours.
If you want to access UK streaming services, choose ExpressVPN or NordVPN. Both services work with the greatest number of the UK’s streaming websites. If you’re in the UK or overseas and you want to watch the likes of BBC iPlayer and others then these two providers work with most of them.
If you want to test for free, opt for VyprVPN. Their unmatched 3-day trial isn’t available from most providers. This allows you to test the service without paying. If it’s not for you then simply cancel and you won’t get charged.
If you want help choosing the right server, take CyberGhost VPN. Their large range of helpful apps points you in the correct direction of where to connect for what purpose.
Why is a VPN for the UK important?
Using a VPN regardless of which country you’re in is important these days for a range of reasons. The most obvious is the slow erosion of online-privacy but there are plenty of other good reasons using a VPN is good practice.
The UK has some very good reasons why you should be using a VPN which include:
- Surveillance laws: The UK’s Investigatory Powers Act also known as the ‘Snooper’s Charter’ is one of the most invasive surveillance laws in the western world. Although it’s been found numerous times to contradict EU law and ordered to change, with the UK leaving the EU in mid-2019 there will be no further oversight allowing the UK government to pass even more restrictive laws.
- Online threats: Online threats in the UK are at their highest recorded levels and your personal details are big business. Anything from credit card details to your driving licence and other personal details can be bought or sold on the ‘dark web’ for anywhere between as little as 80 pence up to £25. While a VPN can’t protect you against data breaches of businesses, it does secure you in many other circumstances.
- Unblock TV services: If you’re outside the UK or travelling outside many of the UK’s TV service websites are blocked. Using a VPN allows you to unblock them anywhere. It also means you can watch in the UK while retaining your privacy.
- Unblock other content: There’s plenty of other content blocked or censored in the UK. Using a VPN allows you to hop outside the UK to access legal content from another location.
- Adult Age verification: Age verification requirements introduced in 2019 will require you to stump up personal details to access adult content (simply ‘porn’ sites). If this isn’t a violation of your privacy or open to abuse we don’t know what is. Using a VPN allows you to skip these requirements allowing you to look at and browse whatever legal adult content you want without giving up your privacy in the process.
The above isn’t an exhaustive list of reasons to use a VPN but it’s some of the best reasons to use one. Even taking the 5 specifics above goes to show that using a VPN for your everyday internet use in the UK is now essential.
In Summary: Best VPN for UK 2019
The best VPN for the UK right now is ExpressVPN.
They offer the perfect balance of privacy protections, TV unblocking, apps, ease of use and much more. They’ve also got a large range of server locations across the UK and plenty of nearby locations.
You can try them risk-free using their 30-day money back guarantee. We recommend signing up for their 1-year package because it’s almost 50% cheaper than paying on a monthly basis and they’re giving you 3-months free right now which isn’t to be missed.
If you’ve got some time then it’s worth checking out all 5 recommendations above as you may like one more than the others.
Whichever VPN you end up choosing you really can’t go wrong because they’re 5 of the best VPN services for the UK this year.
Other articles you may like