In this guide we'll be rounding up and ranking the Top 5 VPN services to use with Huawei devices. If you're looking for a VPN for your Huawei phone, then this is the guide for you.
Huawei is a brand that popped up seemingly from nowhere and exploded onto the market. If you like top-end phones but don't like the high costs of Apple or Samsung, then it's likely you've got a Huawei.
It's the brand that has been wowing with innovation and at the same time causing us westerners a whole host of trouble trying to pronounce.
Putting the nuances of Mandarin and Cantonese aside for a moment you'll want to protect the privacy of your device and the best way to do this is by using a VPN app.
But which is the best VPN for Huawei devices? and how do you go about choosing one from the vast sea of options?
Below we'll find out.
How to choose a VPN for Huawei
Before you start diving into different VPN services, it's worth taking a minute to familiarise yourself with some of the features that you should be looking out for.
It'll help you get the overall best VPN service for your device.
- Android app – Up to now and for the foreseeable future, all Huawei phones run Android. So it's essential that the VPN service you sign up to is compatible with and offers an Android app. Thankfully most do, but there are one or two that still don't and you should avoid those.
- No log policy – Ensure that the VPN you use on your Huawei device isn't recording details of your usage. It defeats the purpose of using a VPN in the first place. A handful of VPN services have carried out audits to back up their no logging claims.
- Wide server selection – Using a VPN on your Huawei phone means you're more likely to be connected while out and about as oppose to while at home. Having a large selection of server locations allows you to protect your connection wherever you find yourself in the world.
- High-level encryption – Android supports the OpenVPN protocol which is considered one of the best these days. Make sure the VPN service is offering at least OpenVPN 256-bit as it'll keep your data extra secure.
- Money back guarantee – Finally, without question look for a service that offers a money back guarantee. Many offer 30 days or more to give you a serious length of time to test their service without risk.
Best VPN for Huawei
I've had the Huawei Mate 10 Pro for some time now and we also have a Huawei p20 in the office. Having access to a range of Huawei devices means we've been able to compare and contrast VPN services for well over a year on Huawei devices.
Our top pick VPN services for use with Huawei phones are:
ExpressVPN is our ‘Editor's Choice' VPN this year for the overall quality of their service and this extends to use on Huawei devices.
They've recently released an updated Android app which works great with Huawei phones. You can connect quickly from the main app screen plus it also holds space for two of your most recently connected locations.
Once connected it has a built-in taskbar that allows you to customise four apps that you can automatically open at the touch of a button. It's a neat feature and means you don't need to navigate back to your phone's app screen but can instead launch apps from within the ExpressVPN app.
Settings are limited which means you can't break anything but the OpenVPN protocol is in use allowing you to switch between UDP and TCP. If you know nothing about VPNs, then you don't need to fiddle with anything as it works ‘out of the box'.
There are 94 countries available on the ExpressVPN service so you will be covered wherever you travel and they've got a 30-day money back guarantee if you change your mind.
Exclusive: Get three months free on an annual package for our readers…
Best VPN for Huawei
NordVPN is one of the most improved VPN services over the years, so much so they've become one of the biggest providers in the industry.
Their Android app for Huawei differs a little to the competition in that server selection is done via a world map. You can also connect by a list of countries and we like the fact you can connect to specific individual servers.
There's also a section for ‘Speciality Servers' so if you torrent, need a dedicated IP, want to push your connection through two hops (double VPN) or want to use Tor over VPN then you can do all of this from your Huawei phone.
In the settings area there's a smart feature called ‘CyberSec' that blocks malware, phishing and other online threats that could target your Huawei device.
If you want extra features in your app, then NordVPN makes a great choice. They also have offer top speeds and a sweet 30-day money back guarantee covering your back.
VyprVPN offers up some of the most well-designed apps across all devices that we've seen. Their Android app for Huawei phones is no exception.
You can connect to the fastest server with just one click, but if you need more customisation a full country list is available and you can add specific locations to your ‘favourites'. You can't however pick individual VPN servers like with NordVPN.
Some of the most important settings such as ‘Connect on Untrusted Wi-Fi', ‘Kill Switch' and ‘Block Malicious Sites' can be enabled/disabled directly from the home screen of the app which is a nice feature.
VyprVPN recently became a completely ‘no-log' VPN service meaning they don't record any details of your activity or any connection details either. They reaffirmed this with an independent audit which is further than many other providers in their aim to prove their claims are true.
The industry standard 30-day money back guarantee is available here too.
4. CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost VPN is another service who have recently released new Android apps compatible with Huawei devices.
Again, connection can be made straight from the main app screen with no set-up. If you want more choice, then the country list with individual servers available and a ‘Streaming Friendly' section make selecting a server simple.
We like the ‘Streaming Friendly' option and if you like watching movies and TV shows on your phone, then you'll appreciate this option.
The app uses a dark theme and although Huawei phones have quite vibrant and bright screens, it may not be to your liking. Unfortunately, there's no way to change this to a lighter theme.
CyberGhost VPN lets you use their service on seven devices, but you do need to ‘de-register' some if you hit that limit. So not only can you use it on your Huawei device but also any other computers, laptops, tablets or phones you have.
They also offer a massive 45-day money back guarantee which is the longest we've seen and you won't find that length offered by other services.
VPN.ac is our wildcard choice for experts.
Their Android app for Huawei devices is well designed and as with the other four services you can connect from the main screen without setup. It's easy to change location with servers split into continents and there's even a special ‘Double Hop' section that pushes your connection through two areas.
There are a range of encryption options and settings on the VPN.ac app that aren't available from the other services so if you like to tinker around ‘under the hood' then this will be the service for you.
VPN.ac is still suitable if you're a beginner though and connecting on your Huawei device is no more difficult than with any of the other services.
The service also works exceptionally well in China, so if you're planning on using your Huawei device there, then you've got one of the best services for the job. Unfortunately, their money back guarantee is one of the shortest at just 7-days but in all honesty, with a service this good you're unlikely to be requesting a refund.
Which Huawei VPN is best for you?
Without question our favourite VPN on Huawei phones is ExpressVPN.
It works well, they've got plenty of server choice, high levels of encryption and great speeds.
However, sometimes there'll be specific features of your daily usage that will determine that one VPN service might be better for you than another. To help you make a decision based on your usage we've listed the most common scenarios.
If you want strong privacy protection, choose ExpressVPN. As their Huawei VPN app supports OpenVPN and 256-bit encryption you've got one of the highest levels available to keep you secure.
If you want a beginner-friendly service, opt for NordVPN or VyprVPN. Their Android apps for Huawei are some of the easiest to use and best designed that we've seen. You can connect quickly and easily with just one tap.
If you want a money back guarantee, take CyberGhost VPN. They offer an extensive 45-day money back guarantee. It's longer than any other provider and gives you ample time to test the service.
If you want to try without payment, choose VyprVPN. They offer a full restriction-free three-day trial. You will need to enter some payment details and if you cancel before the three days elapse you won't be charged a penny (or cent!).
If you want extensive features, get VPN.ac. They're the best choice if you're an advanced user allowing you to customise many of the encryption options and offering added features that will keep you happy.
How to sign up for a VPN for Huawei phones
Although VPN apps are available from the Google Play Store directly on your phone, most don't allow you to sign up directly through them.
Unlike apps such as games, you can't ‘buy' a VPN app through the Google Play Store.
To sign up for a VPN service for your Huawei device, you'll need to visit the VPN service's website directly first. You can either do that on your Huawei phone itself or another device such as a laptop.
Complete the sign-up process and then on your Huawei phone visit the Google Play Store and search for the name of the VPN service you signed up for. Then download their app.
When you first open the app you'll be able to login with your account details – these are the same ones you created when you signed up.
Why you need a VPN for your Huawei
There are multiple reasons why a VPN is now an essential app for your Huawei device and no longer an unnecessary luxury.
Below we've listed some of the most important reasons:
- Protect your privacy – When you're out and about with your Huawei phone you're more likely to connect to free Wi-Fi in places like cafes, on public transport or in other public locations. These Wi-Fi networks are not secure. That means you could be leaking personal details to nefarious strangers. Using a VPN on your Huawei phone protects against this.
- Unblock streaming services – Whether you're laying in bed or travelling on the train if you've got some time to stream movies or TV shows you'll want access to the most content. Using a VPN allows you to unblock overseas services and get access to more movies and shows on services like Netflix.
- Access blocked services – Often public Wi-Fi or internet in certain countries will restrict access to everyday websites and apps. Using a VPN allows you to unblock them and access a restriction-free internet – just as it was intended to be used.
- Stop companies tracking you – Nearly everything you do on the internet will be monitored these days, from what websites you access on your phone to what apps you're using. Have you ever wondered how the same adverts seem to follow you around? Although a VPN can't protect against all tracking, it can severely limit it. Allowing you to browse without fear that there are 1000 eyes on you… although there may still be one or two.
In this guide we've rounded up some of the best VPN services for use with Huawei phones.
We've also recommended a handful of reasons why using a VPN is a necessity.
We recommend using ExpressVPN because they offer the right balance of ease of use, speed and features. They also have a beneficial 30-day money back guarantee so if you're a little unsure you've got plenty of time to test them without risk.
Don't forget there's an exclusive offer for our readers allowing you to get 3-months free on their 12-month subscription so check that out when you're signing up.